Sunday, December 8, 2013

MURPHYS OPEN HOUSE CONTINUED.

Yesterday was a struggle, with an extended brown out, 50% power. Bitterly cold for us with eight and a quarter inches of snow. I couldn't open my electric garage door. Karen chanced our driveway and went to town. A guy living on our road plowed the main road. The return was dicey. She slid and slipped back up the driveway and with heart racing,  barely made it back to the house. Since temperatures last night were predicted at 12*, she knew the ice would be a more harrowing journey today, when the slush freezes. It did melt some yesterday, then it snowed some more. Then we  had a full power outage for several hours. I saw PG&E working the pole on my property at 10:00 p.m. So, another day of ice and snow. I hope to walk later in the morning and take pictures. It is nice to have electricity back. So, to continue Murphys Open House where Becky, Janice, Leslie and I met Jan at the emergency shelter, see yesterday's late post:
DSC02072 (Copy)
Becky talked with another shelter worker, Tammy, mostly about the beds and blankets. The beds are red cots. The blankets  are made of ugly grey felt, unwashable,  and are thrown away or given to the person who uses them. I thought that was interesting. One person used the shelter last night. And, Jan reported to me this morning she left at midnight, barely made it home the snow was so heavy, got into her house and a tree went down on her driveway after she got in. (She has 4 wheel drive.)
DSC02074 (Copy)
The wine tasting rooms were busy and filled with tasters. At Hovey's we had a chocolate tasting as well. Everyone was in a festive happy mode, as we were. Enjoying the cookies or treats with cider.
DSC02078 (Copy)
A new store had its grand opening that night. The owner has a lavender farm in Arizona and kids that live in Arnold. They have all kinds of lavender based soaps and products. Very nice. We tasted a delicious lavender cookie. Reminds me of that song:

He was only a lavender cowboy, the hairs on his chest they were two, he wanted to be a big hero, and do as the heroes do. Red, green many color hair tonics, he rubbed on his chest every night. But when he woke up the next morning, no new hairs grew in sight. He battled for Red Nellie's honor, and cleaned out a hold-up's nest. He died with two six guns a blazing, but only two hairs on his chest.
Sorry but that song has been buzzing through my brain lately. I tried to sing it for Jim.
DSC02097 (Copy)
I like bags and hats. We have a great bag shop. This Little Volkswagen bag reminded me of Janis Joplin's Volkswagen. Such a sad story. We visited her home town of Port Arthur, Texas earlier this year. The owner was a Joplin fan. Me too.
DSC02101 (Copy)
A Christmas tree made from rough bits of left over wood. I'm an avid recycler and it appealed to me, along with the home-made decorations. I used to lavishly decorate for Christmas. I'm now in favor of items I can haul out that are already decorated and just need to be set up. (It is an age thing, I think.)
DSC02086 (Copy)
Stores in Murphys have changed hands so many times, I always remember the original name. This was Riedel's Grocery. I met neighbors Bitsy and Mike Cameron.
DSC02087 (Copy)
And, Suki Tutthill. She used to own a business in town. We were in the Business association together in the mid 1980's. Running into old friends is another thing I love about Open House.DSC02082 (Copy)
My very favorite store in  Murphys, though, is the IDEA store, which carries bathroom machineries and sooooo much more. I tell everyone to go. New on this visit was a child size antique porcelain bath and sink.
DSC02083 (Copy)
And, a more modern child size toilet. Tom  imported a truckload of porcelain one-and-a- half- pint, flush toilets, which will be the new law in California soon. I forgot to take Tom's picture, another old friend from Murphys Business Association. We chatted and enjoyed cookies and cider. The best thing about the place is his ghost story and the story of the over too hundred tons of keys and locks he got from Great Britain. All antique. Marvelous place. Just ask and he will tell you. DSC02089 (Copy)
The open house was officially over at 8:00 p.m. People lingered beyond that, enjoying the fire pits, hating to leave, music still wafting in the air from somewhere. The Highway Patrol patiently waited and didn't come in like commandos and reopen the street to traffic.  It started snowing just before we left town. It was heavy about 500 yards from my driveway. What a lovely night.

No comments: