Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 in review and Toasts and rhyme to the future-2009








Ah, friends, it is a marvelous feeling to look back on a year and find good things among the inevitable sorrows. I can say with certainty that good health is a giant totem along with meeting a new love; children who live and learn well that life is what you put into it brings me great joy. Grandchildren are the frosting to match the silver in my hair. Friends are gold without which life would be tarnished. I can truthfully say my cup runneth over.


Tonight we celebrate the turn over to a new year in which we determine to look ahead to some things new and wonderful and say, I'm alive and well and happy. I toast all of you tonight as I hoist a glass-

In the New Year, may your right hand always be stretched out in friendship, but never in want. (Traditional.)

Stir the eggnog, lift the toddy, Happy New Year, everybody. ~ Phyllis McGinley

Here's a toast to the future, A toast to the past, And a toast to our friends, far and near. May the future be pleasant; The past a bright dream; May our friends remain faithful and dear. ~ Anonymous

Each age has deemed the new-born year The fittest time for festal cheer. ~ Sir Walter Scott


New Year's Eve

Play a thin tune
on a paper horn
Old is dying
New is born

Scatter confetti
over the floor
Sweep an old year
Out the door

Blow up a wish
in a bright balloon
Whisper dreams
To a midnight moon

Play a loud tune
on a paper horn
Old is dying
New is born

by Myra Cohn Livingson


No comments: