Thursday, November 28, 2013

THANKSGIVING QUOTES OF OLD.

From Benjamin Franklin:

“For my part, I wish the bald eagle had not been chosen representative of our country: he is a bird of bad moral character…For in truth, the turkey is in comparison a much more respectable bird withal, a true original native of America. Eagles have been found in all countries, but the turkey is peculiar to ours:…he is besides (though a little vain and silly, it is true) a bird of courage who would not hesitate to attack a grenadier of the British Guard who should presume to invade his farmyard with a red coat on.”

Ole Ben did some smart things, but this opinion, (in my opinion) wasn’t  one of them. But, worth a chuckle.
“Thanksgiving Day”, from Lydia Marie Child 

“Over the river and through the wood,
Now grandmother’s cap I spy,
Hurrah for the fun!
Is the pudding done?
Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!”
 
And, from William Dean Howells, 1837 -1920
 
“Thanksgiving day, I fear,
If one the solemn truth must touch,
Is celebrated, not so much
To thank the Lord for blessings o’er,
As for the sake of getting more!”

Hey, I think  that describes a bunch of us as we load up our overburdened plates!

But my favorite I think is this one from  “Mr. Dooley’s Opinions ” written in 1900. Presented by Finley Peter Dunne.

“Twas founded be the’ Puritans to give thanks f’r being’ presarved fr’m th’ Indyans...we keep  it to  give thanks we are presarved fr’m th’ Puritans.”

Now that’s a thought to mull.
Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: