Monday, February 6, 2012

THE LOST MAN.


I received an email from a friend about a physician who treats veterans in San Antonio,  Texas.  The physician claims  more veterans settled in that area of Texas than anywhere in the U.S.  He was discussing his view on how under appreciated veterans can be, even by himself. He learned late in his career to ask each patient about their experiences and let them know how much he appreciates them as he listens to their stories, some of which are horrific.  It  put me in mind of the post in Ajo which shares a post with the American Legion and AmVets.


Most posts fly a POW-MIA flag.  Ajo’s  post has a table reserved for the lost man. We’ve stayed in many VFW and American Legion Posts over the years and I had never seen this done. I Heard someone ask what the salt on the table represented?  I was curious as well. After reading the framed mission statement, I thought I’d share it.

The bible is behind the frame and not visible in my photo, nor is the lemon slice present.

Yesterday, the resort had a polka party which sold out very quickly. We went to Mesa to get the Bronco washed, but couldn’t find a place that washes without brushes. We bought  a coffee pot since ours had a faulty handle. We returned in time to peek in at the dance.

Dancing the polka and schottisch is most likely something only our generation finds familiar.

One thing I know for sure, the dancers were having a great time.

And those who sat out were having a good time too.
For active seniors,  “snowbird” resorts, are a fun way to spend your golden years. Many RVers use their own motor homes to stay at places like this and others buy a spot they keep all year.  Either way, it’s a great, carefree, fun and economical way to live.

No comments: