Sunday, January 19, 2014

THE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE.

About 30 years ago I read about the Abernathy Brothers who at age 10 and 6 rode horseback, by themselves, from Oklahoma to New York. That story intrigued me and rested at the back of my mind as something I'd like to read more about. Life being busy with four active kids, I didn't look to find a book about them. No internet then, either.

Reminisce magazine arrived in my mail yesterday with a picture of the Abernathy Kids, who at age 13 and 9 years old, took that same trip on an Indian Motorbike, 1,750 miles, in 1913. It was under their "Photographs That Celebrate The American Experience."

Wow, say I. I find the book on Amazon.com and having just had credit cards compromised I vowed not to use them on-line anymore. I plunk some money into my Paypal account and get ready to buy the book.

Now, let me tell you about my American Experience.  Amazon won't let you choose Paypal as an option. I worked through their web system, help hints and in the end, greed will out. You can use their personal credit card and be billed, and then, of course, you can pay it on-line. They never give a phone number. And, they will probably never get any business from me.  I already have new credit cards and don't want their exclusive card to use on their exclusive site. I thought maybe they had an account like Paypal where you keep money on hand for purchases. Nope. An hour wasted. I found the book on another book sellers site.

I know I'm getting crotchety.

No comments: