Thursday, February 6, 2014

A DESERT OVERLOOK.

DSC03037 (Copy)


Jim drove us to a canyon overlook with miles and miles of desert at a place he holds dear. He spent time here with the WINS, a singles group that would gather the wagons, so to speak, and light a huge bonfire and enjoy the beautiful skies, the peace the quiet and serenity that you find in special places.
DSC03007 (Copy)

He and others from the group would 4-wheel among the hillocks on the shallow canyon floor and to me it is just a desecration of nature. I don't appreciate the tracks or dust of such a sport, so while he looked fondly, I walked the canyon rim looking for pretty rocks and taking pictures.
DSC03011 (Copy)

What is nice about places like this, right off the California highway S 22, is there are multiple spots anyone can pull over to enjoy the views. Each canyon will be different. The Salton Sea is visible in the background, but barely since it was slightly hazy on this day.
DSC03020 (Copy)

The light doesn't do its magic as the sun moves across the crags and fissures as it does in the Grand Canyon, but these small, canyons have an appeal of their own. It surprised me that we didn't see a lizard, a bird or anything alive. I'm sure they exist, but not to any excess.
DSC03018 (Copy)

Had we had time, I think hiking the canyons would be interesting. The pictures are better in a full screen slide-show. I took 39 of them, if you'd like to see them.
https://picasaweb.google.com/106530979158681190260/201424TheOverlook
DSC03013 (Copy)

I like that our lifestyle allows us to seek out places like this and enjoy  dinner with a view. As night clamped down, the haze prevented any stars from showing. I got up twice during the night to see if it cleared, but only a sliver of a moon peeked through a gray haze.
DSC03036 (Copy)

Before light the next morning, some bright stars were out along with a heavy wind. I set my camera for night scene, but it just isn't good enough to capture a star.

No comments: