Sunday, December 23, 2012

EASY TANDOORI CHICKEN

I recently enjoyed tandoori chicken at a restaurant in Stockton. A reader wondered if you can cook it without the clay pot. The answer is yes, but I couldn’t find my recipe that I got from a friend. I found it yesterday and here it is:

3/4 cup Greek yogurt, mixed with 1/4 cup water.
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger.
2 cloves garlic diced
2 tablespoons Indian tandoori spice mix. (The mix is made with garlic, onion and garam masala, the ingredient that turns it pink.  I’ve made it without the garam, and it still tastes good. If I can’t get the mix, I  replace it with 1 tsp sweet paprika, for color, 1 tsp ground cumin and 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper. I’ve been known to toss in a bit of cilantro, too.)

1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil.

Mix everything together into a paste and cover six chicken thighs with it and marinate in the refrigerator overnight, or, all day if you start early in the morning. (At least seven hours. ) When ready, turn your oven up to 400 degrees. Lay thighs in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet and roast for 20 to 30 minutes. Turn on the broil and brown for five minutes, turning and basting the pieces. Melt a tablespoon butter over all and serve with lemon wedges and sliced raw onion. Eat with rice.

This recipe serves six people, but that is three people at my house. If I’m going to turn on my oven I triple this recipe.

My gang comes in today for the holidays, with four college age boys, one a guest from Italy, and then the rest of the troop.  I baked and parted a turkey for a buffet style supper with a cold paella salad, green salad and plenty of bread for sandwiches. That should get them through to a trip to the snow tomorrow.

We are so fortunate to have such choices of interesting foods. I hope you give it a try some day.

No comments: