Thursday, December 9, 2010

CHRISTMAS PARTY FOR ARTISTIC SOULS

In yesterday's blog,  I mentioned the Red Hats. Joellyn Gano, left,  is also a member of the Calaveras Arts Council and enjoyed both parties on the same evening at the Murphys Hotel.  Her husband Dave is a painter. Joellyn plays a mean accordion, just one of her many talents. Penny West, served as director  of the Calaveras County Arts Council and kept that organization growing and strong,  nurturing all of us since 1981.  She now shares that position with Mary Jane Genochio.
Judi Caine Papais, left, has a marvelous studio with wonderful north light and teaches as well as paints. She is a well known artists along with many others too numerous to name. Judi belongs to another arts group in the county. Murphys may have the most galleries of all the small towns in Calaveras, but there are many others if you wish to spend a day perusing the awesome talents of this community. If you are looking for culture,  music, dance, visual arts, sculpture, or pottery, you will find it here.
 Good friends, Dave Self and Pastor Meg Self attended. Dave, with talents previously hidden from view. He drew illustrations for Glen Wasson's book and will be coming out with a book of his own poetry soon. These talents I never knew about before in my friend, surprised and delighted me.
 Glen with his wife Joan, a talented photographer. Glen provided the entertainment for the night and kept us laughing with renditions from his current book, Tales Mark Twain Would Have Loved To Steal.
Glen is well known for his doggerel. He writes on the spot and read a poem he composed just for the evening. But, I mentioned the Red Hats. Glen wrote "A Gentleman's Response To The Red Hat Ladies" and kept us laughing at his indelicate response to the repression of men's natural tendencies.

When I am old I will not care
About the kind of clothes I wear
They may be tattered, old or ripped
And I won't care if my fly's not zipped.

In crowded elevators I may break wind
And look as though I'm quite chagrined
At some innocent person standing there
Whom I'll indict with a reproachful stare.

And I don't care if the ladies mind
That I pinch them hard on the behind
I've always longed to play such sports,
Especially those with bulging shorts.

I'll go to church in my overalls
Wear polyester plaid to formal balls
I'll watch TV in my under wear
And scatter beer cans everywhere.

I'll scratch myself in private places
Just to see the look on people's faces.
In mixed compay I'll tell lewd jokes
To scandalize those proper folks.

At dinner time I will pick my nose
And wipe the boogers on my clothes.
And to me it really doesn't matter
If I grab the last thing from the platter.

Until I'm old I'll still behave,
It isn't nice to be a knave.
But, I can't wait for that joyful day
When I'm old enough to act that way.

No comments: