Friday, December 17, 2010

THE BEST GIFT

This morning, I received one of the best gifts I'm likely to receive this Christmas. It may look like a bag of garbage, and that is because it is a bag of garbage. I received this picture from my partner, Jim, with this message: 
I RECYCLED THESE YESTERDAY. WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T TRAIN AN OLD DOG?

Now, let me tell you, I was extremely proud of my guy who finds living with me on the road a pain in the butt sometimes when I insist on gathering everything recyclable and saving it until we find a place to deposit it. Not an easy job. Limited space, constantly moving from community to community makes recycling daunting. Different states have different rules. Some charge. Often recycling places are difficult to find; usually located on the outskirts of town, off the beaten path. Half the citizens you ask can't tell you where the recycling place is located because they don't use them. 
Jim grumbles a bit while he is looking up on Google where the nearest place might be. But, he does it and I am grateful. But, for me to be home and for him to recycle was a great surprise. Thank you, Jim.  

California is very progressive and its easier to find places to recycle. When I see a guy point to his "down" filled vest and tell me "... this is stuffed with recycled plastic bags." Or when I hear my friend Jerry tell me, "...my motorcycle lights are made from recycled cans..."; or when I see the public bathroom doors made from prescription bottles at the Solar Living Center, you have to know this is a growing and viable industry. Recycling projects would astound you.

No comments: