Saturday, January 1, 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM FAR AND NEAR

As a kid, growing up in rural Michigan, I never thought I'd become a world traveler. It still boggles my mind.
And looking back at this wonderful year of traveling across the United States and back, the wonderful experiences I've had, the amazing places and things I've seen, I'm in awe of my great good fortune to have met a ramblin' man who seeks to be an adventurer and pulled out of the ruts of life to follow his dreams.
I mentioned being a world traveler as well. Before I retired, I was interested in the world, other cultures, other peoples, other customs. It was my good fortune to become acquainted with the Republic of Indonesia via an exchange student who became an integral part of my life and introduced me to a whole new world of experiences. And, today I received greetings from Linda Djamaludin, one of the nicest, most interesting women I've ever met.

This is Linda, third from left, in costume, with some of her friends.
Below is Linda experiencing snow for the first time, at Bear Valley, something rather rare in Indonesia. (Photo from 1986).
Linda, who is muslim, also sent me the words to a song, Stand Up For Love.  There are words worth repeating:
     There are times I find it hard to sleep at night,
     We are living through such troubling times.
     And every child that reaches out for someone to hold,
     For one moment they become my own.
     If we all stand together this one time
     Then no one will get left behind.
     Stand up for life
     Stand up for love. 

If we could see the world as a world full of people who all want basically the same thing. Love, friendship, family, good health and the ability to have free choices, what a peaceable world this would be. Which is, by the way, my wish for the New Year. A WORLD FULL OF PEACE AND LOVE.       

No comments: