We all know how guys up in the foot hills with their stills brewed raw alcohol and decanted it during prohibition. I've even tasted the stuff, and the merest sip will put a hole in your belly.
It was not my intention to make hooch, but with gobs of apples needing attention, I decided to put some in a jar, cover them with a bit of sugar, and top them off with a dab of brandy to preserve them until I returned from Yosemite.
Luckily, the swollen lid on the jar of apples caught my attention yesterday. I carefully began loosening the lid and allowed minute amounts of pressure to dissipate. It could have been a disaster, but I managed to get the pressure down and open the jar. I decided to taste it and, hey, not bad for an accident of nature. Better than the stuff that sizzles your brain cells and puts a hole in your belly. In the blender, strain the pulp, and its a passable concoction. I like it! I like it! (Don't tell the feds!)
Then, we had a candle light dinner with our "drinks". Sounds romantic. The trouble is, I had to cook it by candle light on the wood stove. The power went out about 3:30 and didn't come back on until 3 A.M. this morning. Homely beans didn't finish cooking in time for dinner. The salad and cold chicken made the grade, especially when a friend came down for drinks and joined us.
It may look like I'm cooking at the kitchen stove in broad daylight, but check the reflection of the candle on the pot. It was really pitch black. We lit up a dozen candles and savored the relaxation of the evening with no ability to perform any needed tasks.I don't know why an unexpected power failure was fun, but it was. We don't often take time to do nothing and listen to the rain drops on the roof.