Thursday, June 4, 2009

ROGUE RIVER AND THE HISTORIC WIMER COVERED BRIDGE




Arrived in Rogue River late in the day. It was supposed to rain, but the weather was balmy and dry. Our stop here is to check on my rental 13 miles East of Rogue River near the little town of Wimer.
Wimer's claim to fame is an old historic covered bridge. In 2004 it fell into Evans Creek and traffic came to a shuttering halt.
Many meetings, fundraisers and pleas for grants over the years seemed to stall and go nowhere. Imagine my surprise when I rolled into Wimer to find the bridge restored. Dusty, at Wimer's store and gas pump, informed me the restoration was finally completed in 2008.
Hallelujah.

It was nice to see Wimer City Hall, intact. I don't know whose idea it was to paint that old roof, but it never fails to amuse.

No comments: