Monday, June 1, 2009

FEATS OF CLAY




These plates from Alice In Wonderland are nearly as tall as I, at 5' 2". They are actually part of the Gladding.McBean terra cotta factory production pieces, rather than the Feats of Clay competition. Somehow, I put them in the wrong Picasa album as I struggle to become more technically savy. Today, enjoy some of the artwork on display from the Feats of Clay.
Of the 1,000 entries, only about 58 were on display. The winners were chosen by one judge, which I thought a bit strange. Maybe the single judge wasn't as strange as his choices, in my opinion. Still, I shouldn't be critical when I know not the criteria used for judging. I've hosted a series of judges for our Calaveras County Arts Council display at the local fair and have a pretty good idea how judges work on these projects, including ceramics. I collect pottery and am want to think I know good stuff when I see it. I've posted those I liked best. None were among the winners. In the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are 28 photographs in the album at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/1579penn/FeatsOfClay#

No comments: