Wednesday, September 22, 2010

TWO DIFFERENT CITIES- DAY AND NIGHT


Most cities are different during the day than at night. But the contrasts in Reno are greater. My goal yesterday  was the Museum of Fine Arts on Liberty Street. Since Jim and Randy went off to see what is left of Bill Harrah's Auto Collection, I decided high art would be my game. Unfortunately, the museum was closed.  I roamed around town, poking my head in here and there. The Spy Shop intrigued me. The owner told me he had surveillance stuff and self defense items of every kind for men and women. Not my cup of tea, but I loved the sign.
 Speaking of my cup of tea, this pretty blue teapot caught my eye in an Antiques Mall. There was so much stuff crammed in the place, with 180 vendors, you could hardly see anything, except in  the furniture section.
I liked these chairs, but, they don't fit in a motor home. Living in a motor home squelches your impulse purchases, which I like.
This steel sculpture resembles a giant fish and I liked it. Its better seen in its grand scheme as it sits in front of the Reno Court House.
I was tempted to visit Filthy McNasty's just for the hell of it. The name made me chuckle, but I wasn't in the mood for a brew just then. Instead I returned home to program  my new Digital Picture Frame I bought yesterday.
 Reno at night is another world. The strip, only a shadow of its former self, is still a wealth of neon glitz. There was a time when it was considered garrish, and rightly so. It fits the whole concept of risque mystique. The sideshows, gambling, girls, burlesque, high rollers, rich and famous headliners, music, cards, money, slots, dice, cheap eats, elegant dining, topless dancing... excitement. Reno called everyone before Vegas came of age.
The  arch was my very first view of Reno from the passenger train that moved our family from Milwaukee to California in 1954.
The adult caberets...
Betting the horses, the football games, you name it...
The best show...

The best food...

The best bet...

The best fun...
The best hotel...
A bank on every corner and in Reno, money to loan is "Lucky" money.
My husband loved to gamble. It was one of his favorite towns and I was surprised at how many cherished memories I have of this gutsy city of thrills.

No comments: