Tuesday, April 14, 2009

STATELY OAKS BECOMING RARE


Around the Mother Lode, these massive oaks are distinctive among the much more prolific live oak that is common to our environment. Unfortunately, they are not regenerating as well as they should. The causes are many and scientists are working on why. Perhaps that is why I appreciate them so much. I do know I took four acorns and planted them on my property and I now have two young trees about 15 feet tall. This particular oak on my road is a "healer". It has lost numerous branches over the years, but they heal over. The bark actually grows over the wound and heals the tree. It takes a long time for this type of healing to take place and I can't help but admire its fighting spirit.
There is a poem by Henry Cuyler Bunner worth reading entitled The Heart Of The Tree-
What does he plant who plants a tree?
He plants a friend of sun and sky;
A shaft of beauty, towering high;
And seed and bud of days to be...
I've always been sappy about trees.

No comments: