Sunday, December 13, 2015

AFFORDABLE GIFTS OF ART.

DSC07134 (Copy)Each year, our Calaveras County Arts Council hosts an affordable art show just in time for Christmas. Amador and Tuolumne Counties have similar open house events. Affordable is different for different folks. Patty Rayne does huge paintings of horses like this one in the $750 category. Her love for horses shows in her work.
DSC07140 (Copy)On a different budget, maybe for a child's choice, are small mini paintings that are nice for a side table.
DSC07141 (Copy)I usually buy something at this event, but I have no room on my walls and I'm downsizing. I had a hard time passing up this rooster. I've had chickens in every house I've ever lived in and this one reminded me of a rooster we used to have that the kids named Fat King Crow.
DSC07142 (Copy)I enjoy getting my art "fix" even if I don't buy anything. I admired Sonya Zeigler's landscapes and so many others. But what is really incredible about artists in our own backyard is the amazing diversity of talent.
DSC07137 (Copy)Layered ceramics.
DSC07143 (Copy)Etched ceramics.
DSC07146 (Copy)Pots of every kind and shape.
DSC07147 (Copy)Beautiful wooden bowls, platters and honey servers.
DSC07156 (Copy)The things artists do with gourds... an art form that has become very popular in our neck of the woods.
DSC07161 (Copy)Unique one-of-a-kind pieces like this carved skull.
DSC07153 (Copy)Something new to me is photography on canvas from Gordy Long. I swear, Jim and I have been on this very beach in Washington State. I'm curious about how it is done? At $18 very affordable.
DSC07160 (Copy)The gallery has jewelry makers, paintings, and cards for all occasions year around. But at this event, you can find a Christmas card for a favorite friend that is a gift in itself.
DSC07165 (Copy)One table was given over to the feast of finger foods with cider and wine available to drink. Festive and fun because I always manage to see a friend, either in person, or on a canvas.
Enjoying the Christmas season is opening up to joy at every turn and I love it.  Merry Christmas.

No comments: