Sunday, August 17, 2014

ANACORTES EAGLES CLUB FUNDRAISER BARBEQUE

DSC08211 (Copy)
Anacortes Eagles Club puts on a yearly fundraiser barbeque where they serve salmon, chicken or ribs, barbequed on these huge barrel pits. The cooks were taking a bit of a break.
DSC08114 (Copy)
The women bake home-made pies, beans, coleslaw and serve you. They close  a section of the street to set up their cues and tables.
DSC08113 (Copy)
When in the West, eat salmon. Done to perfection. Our plate was heavy. I believe we were dished out a half-pound of silver salmon. Whoever cleans it, didn't leave a bone. I guess I was too hungry to take a picture, light breakfast, no lunch. We went inside to eat. We managed some blueberry and cheery/rhubarb pie, too. Good stuff.
DSC08115 (Copy)
Jim's Eagle's Aerie closed about two months ago. He made arrangements  to switch his membership to Anacortes Club. People here are very friendly. I took a picture of this unusual rocking chair. It was built and carved and donated by a long ago member.
DSC08120 (Copy)
We walked around town taking pictures of murals that Anacortes is known for. I'll publish them and some art tomorrow. Finally got an art fix. On the way, we met this sweet little papillon.
DSC08118 (Copy)
I swear, when she saw the camera she stopped and posed for me. Her owner says she does that because she is a show dog. Traveling like I do, I enjoy other people's pets and no longer have a dog or cat of my own.
DSC08182 (Copy)
I spent two hours before our Eagles dinner in the library, catching up on some business stuff when we first got to town because our signal is so slow in the park. But, I can't pass an Elks Club, since I'm a member from Sonora.  The people in this Elks Club were also very friendly. Three murals graced the club walls.
DSC08183 (Copy)
They commissioned this one to honor a couple who raised more money for children through their club, than any club in Washington by making and selling Jam. Arlitta Pitcher and Stan Jewell. He is 89 years old, now, and they no longer attend.
DSC08185 (Copy)
And, they honored member Carl Frantz, a Sea Scout, who brought them fish, and boats, and apparently a lot of fun.
DSC08184 (Copy)
This gentleman was a band leader that for years played the Elks major dances. Not many clubs, it seems, have those big dances any more. His name is on that bass fiddle but I couldn't read it in my editing program. Sorry sir!
Weather was beautiful, with a full day, in a friendly town. Life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The gentleman with the bass is Cliff Kelly.