Thursday, August 28, 2014

EVERGREEN FAIR POST 3

DSC08701 (Copy)
I left off yesterday at the horticulture area of the fair. They had interesting plants.
DSC08695 (Copy)
Dish gardens are so popular with people living in apartments and small places. This one has a little rattlesnake in the garden.
DSC08696 (Copy)
Anybody can be a successful gardener in miniature. They are really fun.
Through out the horticultural exhibit, was a collection of chickens taking multiple forms, but that is another blog.
DSC08651 (Copy)
Kids crowded around this slice of a honey bee's nest where you could see the colony at work just like those popular ant farms of days gone by. Classes in bee keeping were offered to locals for signing up. I'd like to do it.
DSC08804 (Copy)
we moved on to the rabbit and chicken pens. A friendly bunny sits obediently on the hand of its owner.
DSC08808 (Copy)
I've never seen a bunny as beautiful as this one. I wish I'd gotten a better picture of it. She moved every time I snapped the picture. They're all adorable.
DSC08818 (Copy)
A hen with interesting coloring, breathing out of her mouth as though suffering from heat. Feathers on her feet. None of the cages explained what type of chicken they are.
DSC08837 (Copy)
I once had a huge rooster with a combination of feathers the color of this little banty, and the hen above, plus some turquoise. The kids named him Fat King Crow and he was such a beauty. I didn't see anything close to his coloring. I  looked for silver hamburgs, a type of chicken that I raised at one time.
DSC08842 (Copy)
The roosters got into a crowing duel. The colorful combs are comparatively a bit different from one another.
DSC08852 (Copy)
A coloring book perfect rooster comb.
DSC08843 (Copy)
A handsome fellow with his orange cowl.
DSC08829 (Copy)
I had a hard time to relate to this blob of down feathers as a chicken.
DSC08859 (Copy)
Pigeon fanciers love their pigeons. The owner offered to lift the cage so I could take its picture.
DSC08865 (Copy)
I'm sure I could easily bore you to death with chickens and birds, so here is the last shot of  three ducks of unknown breed.
DSC08705 (Copy)
They may not have posted the various breeds of their animals and birds, but one of the nicest things I've ever seen at a fair, and something that should be at every fair, is a wash station. They have one to two sinks on each side of a four sided structure. Here you can wash up, fill your water bottle and attach a hose if necessary. The sink on the opposite side of this clean-up station also has a drinking fountain. Fantastic!
DSC08590 (Copy)
I was tempted to try my hand at shooting. I was a crack shot at one time.
DSC08589 (Copy)
But, then, what would I do if I happened to win something.
DSC08581 (Copy)
More my speed now.
DSC08708 (Copy)
As the fair got busier, it was hard to find a place to sit. We found a concrete wall in the shade right next to this stand advertising elephant ears. The kid above grabs a pre-measured hunk of dough and mashes it about a little, and then runs it through that old washing machine wringer. A woman sitting next to us said these were invented here in the north west.
DSC08710 (Copy)
Then he dunked it in boiling hot oil for a couple of minutes.
DSC08711 (Copy)
He drains it for a few seconds. Lays it on the white paper, butters it and sprinkles it liberally with cinnamon and sugar.
elephant ears
Ah, at last. The perfect junk food, rich and greasy and delicious. For 6.50, enough for two people. How can you go wrong? And right next to a wash station. Hallelujah. DSC08867 (Copy)
We walked away after resting our feet and whoa! Walk On Water was full of kids. We were back to the spot where we came in. We spent four hours walking around. It was a great fair, not too packed with people. Lots of interesting stuff in the commercial building. We did get to the beeves, and the bulls. But not back to those turkey drumsticks. It was just time to go home.
DSC08872 (Copy)
So we did.

No comments: