Thursday, August 14, 2014

BERRIES TRUMP RAIN.

DSC08021 (Copy)
Windows you cannot see out of greeted our morning, but Jim wanted to go to Mt. Vernon and find blades for his razor and pick up some drug store type items while I stayed and did some computer projects with a sloooow signal.
DSC08023 (Copy)
The rain lightened up and since I don't melt, I decided to pick some blackberries we had scouted out the night before. I came back drenched but triumphant. And, I caught Jim  by cell and requested he bring home vanilla ice cream. Made a great lunch. My container filled six berry baskets.
DSC08045 (Copy)
I had mail to pick up at Anacortes Post Office, so we stopped at the Eagles for a beer before the Farmers Market opened. New friend, Johnny, claimed he stopped the rain just for us. Anacortes Erie is one of the friendliest clubs. Johnny told me he is a full-blooded Quinault Indian and he had great stories to tell.
DSC08025 (Copy)
The market opened at 4 o'clock and the first thing I saw was round eggplants...
DSC08026 (Copy)
...white eggplants...
DSC08027 (Copy)
...and varigated eggplants. I love buying them just because they look beautiful in my fruit bowl. And, I like eating eggplant, though Jim doesn't touch the stuff. I bought the odd ones I'd never seen before.
DSC08028 (Copy)
Everything is so fresh and beautiful. I bought carrots, lettuce, tomatoes and peaches. I love farmer's markets.DSC08031 (Copy)
Another thing I like about the markets is the food. There were ten different dinner plates you could buy, different types of Mexican, Greek and salads. Another booth featured grilled sausages and hamburgers. At this stand a woman sold nothing but corn on the cob. If you like, she dresses it with whipped cream and cheddar cheese,  or chili. We were planning on a veggie burger at the Eagles and neither of us were hungry at that point.
DSC08034 (Copy)
A young musician serenaded the shoppers next to a "cafe" area of tables and chairs for people to sit and enjoy the food and music. Only one person was eating. It was only about 4:30.
DSC08040 (Copy)
The pecan tart looked tempting.
egg yolk crust and crumble topping -blkberry tort
Home baked, the woman told me she makes her blackberry tart with a strong egg yolk crust and a crumble top. The desserts go before the entree  food offerings. I wonder why that is?
DSC08036 (Copy)
Flowers, at $5 a bloom can be like this one,  the size of your head.
DSC08033 (Copy)
The colors and size just knock you out.
DSC08038 (Copy)
My friend Pam gave me a foldable vase for the Motor Home, but space is limited and we only used it once. If the weather was nice, I could put a bloom on our outdoor table when we stay in one place for a week.
DSC08044 (Copy)
We went back to the Eagles and it turned out they were having a big barbeque this weekend, grilled silver salmon,chicken or ribs with home-made pies. They canceled their regular dinners to prepare the big feast. They suggested the Island Cafe close by. We passed this picture of Rudy Malland, Banjo King, father of Bev Malland, a good friend of Jim's. He loves Anacortes and claims if he had to park and live permanently some place, this would be his choice.
DSC08054 (Copy)
When we returned to the motor home, the tide had just come in next to our camping spot.
DSC08057 (Copy)
A could see a light blanket of fog coming in too, and within ten minutes the whole area, including the camp grounds, was swallowed in mist.

No comments: