Friday, July 19, 2013

POKING AROUND SOULSBYVILLE

IMG_6901 (Copy)
I’ve never stopped in the little gold-rush town of Soulsbyville until my treatments at SpineForce brought me here. My friend Jan and I decided to kind of meander and poke around town.
DSC07602 (Copy)
An old sawdust burner caught my eye. They are huge and hard to miss, of course. I didn’t know there were any left. They’ve all been removed or just fallen down. This one is being cared for and preserved. Bully for Soulsbyville.
DSC07605 (Copy)
Soulsbyville is located above Sonora, CA. on highway 108. And while it was a rip-roaring gold town at one time when the gold petered out, it became a lumbering town. Thus the sawdust burner.
DSC07609 (Copy)
And here, you can just pull over and enjoy a feast of blackberries along the road. Of course, Jan and I ate the big fat black ones before I remembered to get out my camera.
DSC07611 (Copy)
Back on 108 headed down hill, I stopped to take a picture of this funky mailbox. A nearby company manufactures that pipe this fellow is made from. Jan wondered why I took a picture of this mailbox.
DSC07613 (Copy)
This question from a woman who builds pyramids in her yard. Huh?  I like pictures of funky mailboxes. And, in fact, I’m in the process of designing one of my own since my mail box post is rotting and needs replacement.
DSC07614 (Copy)
I was telling Jan how I missed the old Byrd House since they widened the highway and voila! There it was, not gone after all. I was truly surprised and even though it is crowded by a power pole and practically touching the electric wires, I had to record this strange building. It was once Byrd Realty Office, many years ago. I’m glad it has been preserved. I guess I like Eclectic things.
DSC07615 (Copy)
We eventually got to the gold-rush town of Columbia. I told her I knew where there was a dragon but it is in someone’s yard and I’ve never gotten a good picture of it. Well…
DSC07621 (Copy)
Jan pointed out that his snout was blackened and he must snort flames.
DSC07620 (Copy)
Isn’t he handsome?  We found the pipe and propane tank hiding near his tail. And, no one came out and took a shot at us. People are pretty laid back here.
DSC07625 (Copy)
As we were leaving the “dragon” road, we spotted this old miner’s cabin. The Motherlode used to be full of little miners cabins. They, too, are falling apart, being removed and are just supposedly useless relics from the past. This miner knew to build on top of a rock to prevent his foundation from rotting away.
DSC07627 (Copy)
I’m glad this old cabin is still around to remind us of the rudimentary places the miners called home. This one is quite big compared to others I’ve seen, and must have housed a wife and children, too. The brow over the window, or former window, is still holding on.
DSC07628 (Copy)
From the front, you can see a modern address and electric meter. It is very possible someone still lives here.
Jan wanted to visit Spineforce and if she hadn’t been with me I’d have probably just headed for home instead of seeing things from a tourists eyes. It was fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary, Thank you for sharing your adventures with us. It is great to hear from someone who cares about our history and appreciates objects of the past being saved and cared for.
In Soulsbyville right now a landowner of the famous Ben Soulsby ranchlands is out to destroy one of the last and extremely important relics of our past. He is proposing to build Duplexes/triplexes(Condos)on 6.1 ac of his 116 acres he plans on changing zoning to build residences.Even though there are several gold mines on his property the County insists building would not significantly effect the environment.Even though the homeowner's safety would be greatly compromised because of lack of exits for fire evacuation, and possible ground movement hazards due to building right up to these mines, no one seems to care. Thank you for caring and if anyone else does, write Tuolumne County and express your concerns this week before it is too late on Nov 2nd for closure of County comment period. Thank you Dee Dee of Soulsbyville, we dont need multi fam bldgs on this two lane country rd

yanmaneee said...

michael jordan shoes
jordan sneakers
yeezy shoes
moncler
golden goose outlet
yeezy boost 350 v2
jordan 6
lebron 16
jordan retro
cheap jordans

Unknown said...

replica bags australia replica bags korea replica bags philippines wholesale

Anonymous said...

allez maintenant meilleurs sacs de répliques en ligne notre site Web sacs de répliques AAA mon explication www.dolabuy.ru