Saturday, March 19, 2011

IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT

It was supposed to rain all day yesterday. It didn't. About 2:00 pm it began a light rain that quickly turned into snow. The pink blossoms of this apple tree are covered with the white stuff. Pretty! We can't really complain when we compare to hard winter climes, I suppose.
Snow here usually melts away before you can get out the shovel. I expect it'll be gone sometime today. But, that isn't a certainty. What we all look out for at oak elevation is tree damage since we are supposedly below the snow line and above the fog. Definitely above the fog. But, snow kind of wanders. Some oaks retain leaves, the live oaks. A heavy wet snow can break branches, and with saturated soil, topple huge trees.
As evening commenced, while reading, the power went out. Without even a bit of ambient light from a clock, or an electronic device, it was like being trapped in Mercer Cavern. I carefully felt my way to my purse that I left in the dining room where I have a tiny flashlight.  I have  flashlights strategically placed near beds in the house. Kind of makes me think I need one next to my favorite chair. Got the matches, lit the candles then read by flashlight until 8:30.  It was, as Snoopy writes, "...a dark and stormy night."  This morning, the snow is still on the ground. Not looking good for the celebration of Irish Days downtown later today. I'll keep you posted on the Irish.

No comments: