Friday, March 4, 2011

ELEPHANT BAR AND A ROLLS ROYCE

A bunch of the gals were whooping it up at the Elephant Saloon-whoops, I mean, Bar.  The Elephant Bar is a huge restaurant with a full service bar, great food and a dignified atmosphere. They have outside tables and gentle fans. As I mentioned in an earlier blog,  I wondered what would happen when I showed up with 14 others and only two people could drive? Apparently nothing daunts the recreation director for Thousand Trails because it all happened and we caravaned to Palm Desert for a fantastic lunch and shopping.
So you meet all these new "friends" and one of them quipped, after we all gave our names and where we were from, "So, you are all going to remember our names, right?"  And another, "There's going to be a test!"
Well, the friendly woman who drove three of us in her dualie is parked in the middle above. She is Virginia. Easy for me since I have a daughter by that name. And, I learned about parking a dualie.(Two or more spaces, yah!)
On the left is an Asian Chicken Salad.Well, at least I remembered what she ordered.  And on the right is Earletta, named for her father Earl, an only child. Earletta lived in Germany for awhile and reminded me of the famous pageants they have in this secluded mountain town where the townspeople prayed for and end to the plague. They promised God if they didn't get any more plague they would put on this pageant to honor God. That was in the 1400's or something. The plague ended. They still put on the pageant every 10 years. Now I'm inspired to re-read my journal so I can remember the details of that trip. See what casual friendships can mean to you?
These two brave women wore white and ordered, (at least one of them did), something with tomato sauce. My mother would never let me wear white to school on sloppy joe day at the cafeteria. Tsk, tsk! One of these gals, (left) likes to iron. LIKES to iron? I told her my brother used to call his wife, LONI. It stood for little or no ironing.
These two gals were already friends and I caught one name, Betty, on the left. Pretty soon you find out that almost everyone here is from California, Oregon or Washington state. Are we having fun yet?
Our Make-It-Happen director from Thousand Trails on the right with a gal from the South, I think. We eventually find out we all have something in common, but it isn't wearing white or pastel blue at a luncheon. (Remember that sloppy joe!!) 
Here is Linda, on the left. I'm cheating on this one. I met Linda in the laundry and she helped me fold sheets. She is a full timer like my partner, Jim. Linda explained to me that most of her friends are people she has met at Thousand Trails because she has been on the road for so long. It happens, I've seen it. Not only that, she has beautiful, thick hair that she can and has donated to "Tresses For..." . I can't remember the rest of the name of the organization that provides hair pieces for cancer patients and others needing hair. And, on the right is the $65 haircut. That is, she asked someone where to get her haircut locally and it cost her $65 bucks. She warned us, "...ask the price first." Whew! That could save me a bundle.
Now, here I am with my table partner to my left. And, being a name dork, I don't remember her's. But, you know, it doesn't really matter. We chatted, and enjoyed each others company because women are wonderful. Who knows when you might meet a Ya Ya from the Sisterhood.

I must share with you my braised lamb shanks-(to die for.).  THEN, we went shopping.  Remember, this is second hand store stuff. I wanted a silverware divider to fit in my motor home drawer. My daughter-in-law gave me a ration about "...setting my sights a little higher". So, how is this Laurie?
This beautiful leather and fox coat was only $995.00. Laur, I WAS tempted.
I really liked this painting if I could have gotten it for $75. But, I wasn't willing to pay $295 for it.
This might have looked good on the Christmas shed wall, but its too big to carry in the motorhome.
 So, I settled for a Rolls Royce.

For a link to all 34 pictures I took, click here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1579penn/3411GirlsLunchShopDay#

No comments: