Monday, September 27, 2010

RAVENS, CROWS, CORBIES...ALL THE SAME

Things can take a great juxtaposition in your life. These two crows sat side by side eating a piece of meat of some sort. After reading about a "murder of crows" and why they are named such as a group, (my blog of Aug. 28, 09)  I've been fascinated by them. These two sat side by side and shared their find companionably.

The photo below, from my new favorite artist, Chester Arnold, who confronts the exploitation of earth in his work, also provided a poem about ravens to accompany his painting entitled Two Ravens.  His two ravens are present in a desolated, destroyed, defoliated landscape, directly contributed to by the hand of man. He may be suggesting that man and raven are similar predators? My photo was taken the morning before I visited his exhibit at the Nevada Museum of Art.
 
 In any case, I thought this old English poem quite an appropriate accompaniment to his painting. This painting is still for sale from the Catharine Clark Gallery in San Francisco.

TWO CORBIES

As I was walking all alane,
I heard two corbies making a mane:
The tane into the other say,
"Where sall we gang and dine today?"

"In behint yon auld fail dyke,
I wot there lies a new slain knight:
And naebody kens that he lies there,
But his hawk, his hound and lady fair.

"His Hound is to the hunting gane,
His hawk to fetch the wild-fowl hame,
His lady ta'en another mate,
So we may mak our dinner sweet.

"Ye'll sit on his white hause-bane,
And I'll pick out his bonny blue een:
Wi ae lock o' his gowden hair
We'll thick our nest when it grows bare.

"Mony a one for him makes mane,
But nane sall ken where he is gane:
O'er his white banes when they lie bare,
The wind sall blaw for evermair."
   
    Annonymous

No comments: