Friday, September 24, 2010

FROM COAST TO COAST

The road West of Reno had over a mile of narrow passage for roadwork and I was grateful that Jim was driving. The Sierra's are beautiful, the weather was balmy and nice for the last stretch to home.
There is a song with these words: Far away places with strange sounding names,
                                                   Calling, calling, me!
The strange soundings names disappeared as we entered more familiar territory on Highway 80. It occurred to me that what is familiar to me is just as exotic to someone else, like Sparks, Dutch Flat, Heather Glen, Blue Canyon, and flumes.
 The flumes hug the hillsides on the Western slope of the Sierras. Whenever we have out of state visitors, they are quite curious about the flumes. I've seen them in the wintertime around Truckee with icicles five and six feet long.
The snowshed is also visible in several different places. The sheds cover the train to make passage possible in the winter.
Another familiar sight, logging trucks with skinny logs these days. We saw one in Colorado as well.
My last stop before home?  Pick up my Prius from my daughter's house and visit with family. Grandsons Theo and Owen have two new family members, Lyra and Luna. Named for a star and moon.
I visited a couple hours before heading up to Murphys in the foothills above Sacramento.
The boys are now earning their spending money by collecting and selling owl pellets. Its a bit hard to relate to a Lemonade Stand, or walking the dog. But, science classes use them and they are glad to get them. The world is an ever changing place.

No comments: