Sunday, August 5, 2012

FARMERS MARKETS


One great way to aid our economy’s recovery is by shopping close to home. Farmer’s Markets registered in the United States are at an all time high of over 7,000.  I noticed our local Save Mart advertisers refer to their produce department  as an “in-store farmers market.”  You know they are feeling the impact of  customers buying  directly from  growers.

This was my first time at the Murphys Farmer’s Market held each Friday starting about 4:30 at the Val Du Vino Winery. How lucky we are to have such delicious choices. A Farmer’s Market in Murphys, on the way to Angels Camp, stop at Douglas Flat to the Outer Isle, an Organic Market right on the Highway, then another Farmers Market in Angels Camp, also on Friday’s about 4:30.  There are others in Mountain Ranch and San Andreas, I’m told. Such a deal.

It is not huge, but growing. In San Francisco, there is a waiting list to get a booth at the Ferry Building Farmers Market. For a small rural town, when many people have their own gardens, I thought the offerings quite varied and interesting. Cheeses and olive spreads.

Herb vinegars and salad dressings, all locally made and grown. The smells alone made my mouth water.

I arrived early, as people were still setting up. This woman provides a meal. And her kotufa was fantastic. A seasoned lamb patty over cous cous with a delcious sauce. I could go there just to eat on Fridays.

She cooks something different every Friday and everyone was singing her praises. Yum. Then, paired with a glass of wine?  Hey. Good stuff.

It began to get busy, and I was glad I arrived early as I like to pick over the tomatoes. What I bought was unique and flavorful heirloom tomatoes  and a cucumber.

I was tempted by the home-made zucchini bread.

And the flowers.

But nobody could explain to me why they need a guillotine in a winery? I guess I didn’t ask the right person. Next time!

No comments: