Tuesday, August 9, 2011

SURPRISES FROM THE PAST


June 26th of this year, a group of co-workers from the Calaveras Enterprise got together for a reunion. I missed it.  I left the paper in 1988.  It’s hard to put my head around 22 years gone. Debbie Mullen brought pictures of the event to Turner park for an interlude of lunch and chat and then I really missed it as I viewed old friends and memories flowed.
Pam, talented, hard-working, brought her dog Curly. That doesn’t surprise me but what does is  how much has happened to each of us during the intervening years, children grown, job changes, lost friends, retirement for Pam. Debbie, a different  job and a different color hair.
Sue, like me, a widow has found a  life partner and moved on happily into the golden years; working as a secretary,  and denying she is a secretary. Underestimating her skills doesn’t surprises me. What does  is how comfortably we fit back together for an hour, and  the realization that  basic character never changes.  I found Debbie, Pam and Sue very much the same people I knew back then. When we worked together, we didn’t know we were forging friendships, or memories.  I so enjoyed our short hour and I want to do it again. I want  to say ” how ya’ been?”  to Jerry, Carol, Dick, Judy, Kay, Bertha and Craig and…a big hello to Pat Porath…

And, see Curly again too.

No comments: