Monday, July 11, 2011

LIMBAUGH AND BECK ARE DISTORTIONISTS

I just got a message from the League Of Conservation Voters about a new bill in congress to repeal the mandate for efficient light bulbs enacted with a lot of bi-partisan support in 2007. It seems Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck have been ridiculing them on their shows, and, in the process, distorting the truth about these new bulbs. That, then translated into a bill by a friendly congressman. It always amazes me when congress people listen to rumor and crap and disregard solid science when they make a decision. Kind of makes you wonder if candidates shouldn't have to pass the citizens test given to immigrants before they run for office. 
Truth be told, I didn't like the new bulbs either, at first, because I'd purchased several of them at a high price only to have them fail. You can return, them, yes, but who keeps the receipt? What bulb did you buy where? I began keeping the cardboard backing and attaching the receipt to it and writing where those particular bulbs were inserted. All for naught. In the end, most of the bulbs work just fine and last a long time. And, the cost has come down, down, down. In fact, in Arizona second hand stores (where Jim and I always look first for anything we need in the motorhome), the bulbs are subsidized by the state to encourage their use. 

But all this talk of bulbs made me kind of reflect and chuckle because while working in the Bay Area at the Santa Rita Jail in the 1950's, I was told there was a light bulb still burning in the Livermore fire department that was over 50 years old. I eventually went to look at it and indeed the story was true. Just for kicks, I went into my search engine and asked for the longest burning lightbulb, and sure enough, it's still going. Here is what wikipedia has to say:

The world's longest lasting light bulb is the Centennial Light located at 4550 East Avenue, Livermore, California. It is maintained by the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department. The fire department claims that the bulb is at least 109 years old and has only been turned off a handful of times. The bulb has been noted by The Guinness Book of World Records, Ripley's Believe It or Not!, and General Electric as being the world's longest-lasting light bulb.
There are some other long lasting light bulb stories on the wikipedia site if you want to check them out at:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest-lasting_light_bulbs

The other reason I didn't like the new bulbs is they didn't fit into my lamps and my light fixture globes didn't fit over the new bulbs. Bare, they are just plain ugly. But, I've dined at some pretty fancy restaurants and seen those same ugly bare bulbs and figured if they can do it. I can do it. And, they are going to transpose the whole lighting fixture industry which translates into more jobs. The real benefit, as I see it, and the reason that the bill won't pass, is because businesses that watch their bottom line already realize the cost savings of these new bulbs. They've already made a $12 billion dollar annual savings in this country alone. So, while Beck and Limbaugh claim the new standards are part of a "nanny state" governance, the reality is the bulb technology is getting much better because of the law and we (or our children's children) may someday be reading about a rare thousand year light bulb.  

No comments: