Saturday, August 7, 2010

LAZY DAY WITH A GREAT NEW WRITER

There is nothing quite like the anticipation of going to a favorite book store, The Book Barn at Niantic, in this case, which took up most of our morning yesterday. We rarely buy hardcovers because the lack of room in the motor home makes it impractical.
I returned with 16 new-to-me books. Since I've just discovered Ann Patchett, what joy to find two I hadn't  read. At one time I followed every book written by Mary Higgins Clark, then quit for awhile. But, there they were, staring at me, so I thought I'd get reacquainted.
 One of my favorite writers, Anita Shreve had several hardcovers I've yet to read, and it took great effort to pass them by.
Then I went through my recommended list, those I've read reviews about. I usually make a list of these and this time I remembered to bring it. Found one from my list, The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran DeSal.
I picked up a couple other reliable good writers I've tried, Maeve Binchy, Sandra Brown, Stephen King, Dean Koontz. I like a sprinkling of different genres along with some "chick lit". Then, after that, I look at serious books I'd like to own and keep, but, in the motor home, I know I have to pass them by, so I skipped the temptation. I always look forward to browsing for awhile, tasting, hoping to pick up a couple unknowns, unheard ofs, to try. Its an adventure, hoping to discover another great.

Anne Siddons, and Leif Enger were my choices. Enger, his first book and Siddons has a slew. I started with Enger, and found a new wonder. A heroic, rich adventure that kept me turning pages through three quarters of the book until Jaime enticed me into a bike ride.

The day before,  I took the lead and we rode to town and back, barely able to pump the hills. This time she took the lead. I couldn't wait to get back to Enger's, Peace Like A River. I can already recommend it. You don't have to eat the whole pie to know its great. It has great characters, joy, tragedy and magic. What more can you ask for?

No comments: