Saturday, August 21, 2010

GROSSE ILE, MICHIGAN

Switching directions, we turned north on the west side of Lake Erie headed for an island in the Detroit River, Grosse Ile about 90 miles from Sandusky. We had chores to do, washing, dump and water on the way to Art and Sue Lambart's home, friends of Jim's since 1974. Jim and Art worked in the same power plant at one time.
Generally on the lookout for interesting stuff from my window, I was reading an intensely gripping novel called The Juror,  by George Green, and kept my nose in my book. Somehow,  managed to catch this old Mail Pouch Tobacco ad on the side of a barn. Saw one unrestored a couple days earlier but missed it as we whizzed by.
An interesting sign on this building, but  I didn't retain what type of business it was boosting.
I'm glad I didn't miss this bridge. Jim alerted me and from a distance it looked like a gigantic sail. A beauty. It is called the Veterans Glass City Skyway.
It changes perspective as you cross over.

This bridge to the island is locally called the free bridge. To the right you can see a garden in the middle of the river before arriving on the mainland shore. People who live here can commute to Detroit for work.
Sue had a great dinner for us and we chatted until bedtime, outlining our activities for the next couple days.
For a history of Grosse Ile click the link below.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosse_Ile_Township,_Michigan

No comments: