Tuesday, April 27, 2010

NEIGHBORS LIKE MINE

My neighborhood has the best people. A friend from Sonora once plaintively told me, "I want to live in YOUR neighborhood." Another long time friend sold his lovely house within walking distance of the school where he taught and moved to another "friendlier" neighborhood. The quality of the neighbors can make the difference.

Ron Hayes is one of those kind of guys who will lend a hand whenever asked. I've asked him to drill holes in the bottoms of pots, clean my chimney and grade my driveway. He always offers help when he sees me struggle with anything.  One time I asked him to accompany me when I showed a rental quite late at night to a strange guy and I was feeling unsure about this guy. He never hesitates to say yes. He's a champ in my book. I offered to marry him, but, he reminded me he is already married.

Jan and Karen, are always there for me. Karen literally covers my place, my mail, my yard, my cat, when I'm on the road. I couldn't do it without her. Plus she is a good cook and is forever fixing me dinner when I'm rushed or offering to do errands for me when I'm busy.
Jan is an artist and neighborhood icon. She knows everyone, visits everyone, fields her grand kids through their problems and runs a book club, drum circle and other volunteer endeavors. We call her the "Heart of Gold."  Her hobby is panning for gold. She'll do anything within her power for you.  

Suzy Hayes is the same way. Generous, helpful. We discovered Suzy had recently celebrated her 60th birthday so we put candles on the cake and thanked our lucky stars for our entertainment. Suzy is 3/4 ers comedienne. She and Ron kept us in stitches all evening. If laughter is healing, we are all healed.

Yes, neighbors really can make a difference in the quality of your life.

No comments: