Sunday, December 6, 2009

THE TWISTED FOLK AT TWISTED OAK


A dead chicken can be transformed into a thing of... well... not exactly beauty. Ahm, stark raving lunitic works. This is the downtown tasting room crew for Twisted Oak Winery during Friday's Murphys Christmas Open House. I never asked owners, Mary and Jeff Seith, why they moved a beautiful old barn from Murphys downtown, to the highway edge of their property and hung a bunch of dead rubber chickens on it. Now the rubber chicken has become a lively trade item. I swear he must have had them made to order.
Mary Seith helped Bev Bennedetto squeeze every chicken in the place. They all have different voices. It may help to imbibe a bit before you start squeezing.

If you are served a bit of Murgatroyd by a cat in a hat? Smile, you're at Twisted Oak. In fact, this red with flavors of currant and nutmeg will keep you coming back.

I've eaten chicken nuggets before and I've seen some gold nuggets in my time, but this one...I mentioned lunitic didn't I? At no other winery in the Mother Lode is there more fun than a visit with the twisted folk at Twisted Oak.

No comments: