Thursday, October 22, 2009

TRIBUTE TO A SON

I've been away for a couple days, working at the Alameda County Sheriff's Archive. Some years back, we rescued an old Guard Tower that was slated to be demolished. My son Doug, a carpenter, working in the Bay Area, rebuilt that guard tower with his own and a friend's volunteer labor. In fact, he is always doing something for somebody else.
Sunday night, Doug came whooshing into the driveway about 7:00 p.m., set up shop tools on his tailgate and proceeded to do some measuring and cutting for some of Jim's installations on the motor home. He has been working out of town and had a limited amount of time. I marveled at his professional skills. He measured and cut, moving quickly back and forth between the motor home and his tailgate, chattering away as he worked, playing catch-up with his recent activities while racing to get the job done before dark. We sometimes take our kids for granted and I'm so grateful for his talents. He built the two story house I'm living in when he was only 26 years old, the first house that he built all by himself. He has built many custom homes since, then. He has been a carpenter for over 25 years now and has a serious back injury. His doctor considers him disabled but he refuses to be disabled and continues to work, although he has to be more selective about his tasks, especially lifting.
He is camera shy and hates to have his picture taken; he doesn't read my blog nor do much on the computer, but, I'm proud to declare how proud I am of him and his pride in his workmanship and his maturity and his helpfulness to others.
A loyal friend, and wonderful son, he maintains my rentals and is always doing things for me. Even better, he has a great sense of humor. Thanks, Doug

No comments: