Friday, October 2, 2009

SOOTHING FALL

California transitions into fall. The days are shorter, darker. Then, thud. You get a cold day, an even colder night, and suddenly its time to put on the wool blanket, close the windows, and make soup. It doesn't test your courage to turn on the oven. Yesterday, my neighbor baked an apple pie for me from my own apples. Some trees are just beginning a tinge of orange and yellow.
This morning I started the applesauce. We had applesauce for breakfast and more to tuck in the freezer. Its soothing to me when the weather changes and signals a new season, even if it signals rain and cold to come. I'm tired of the heat and welcome the chance to tuck in, read more, do less yard work and more slow cooking, applesauce and beans and stews. And, home made pie from the oven.

No comments: