Thursday, June 26, 2014

WHAT DROUGHT LOOKS LIKE, PLUS, INSURANCE, CONFUCIUS

DSC06976 (Copy)

Yesterday, I had to drive my Prius back across the river for the body and fender guy to take pictures of the inside of my vehicle so the insurance company could make their decision on whether to total it, or fix it.  This time I remembered my camera. Click the picture to enlarge it and you will be able to see the line of the old road down into the canyon before the dam was built.
DSC06979 (Copy)

Here is  closer shot. Tree tops are showing that once grew on the river’s bank.
DSC06980 (Copy)

A closer shot. I used to love to drive this road and was on the side of the protesters trying to keep the river scenic and wild.  A guy named Mark, forgot his last name, tied himself to a rock so that if it flooded he’d drown. His ploy didn’t work, obviously. The protests raged on for months and got desperate toward the end.
DSC06981 (Copy)

Of course it is all water under the bridge, to quote a cliché. By the way, I had two people ask me why I had to drive the 18 miles to the body shop instead of an insurance adjuster coming out to make the decision. The body shop guy told me, “Oh, we do that. We take the pictures and they make the decision from there. It saves you money” Huh!  Do I believe it saves ME money?  Not for a minute. The woman who hit me paid big premiums for her full coverage, $100 deductible, she told me. Another short cut, downsize jobs. Ugly. I’m very disenchanted with our corporatocracy. We need  some balancing socialized government, like medicare and no child left behind. Similar programs that protect people. Isn’t government supposed to be …by the people, for the people?   It reminded me of a great quote from a man who lived before Christ was born. Ever wise Confucius  said:

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are things to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honor are things to be ashamed of.

Unfortunately, we do not learn from mistakes of the past.

No comments: