Thursday, July 12, 2012

CALAVERAS BIG TREES STATE PARK.

This recent family reunion was special to me since I met my second to youngest brother's daughter and her family for the first time. (My brother died unexpectedly at age 50 in 2005.) They drove here from Colorado, where they've recently moved.   They lived most of their lives in Nome, Alaska. These are my brother's grandchildren aged 10, 7 and 5, who  don't like candy, and refuse most  sweets. They are unfamiliar with foods like artichokes, avocados; had never tasted  lemons and limes.  They ask if the fruit they are eating is a peach or an apricot. They had never eaten cherries and were amazed to find out that they are not all red as they are pictured in books. Insects we find normal everyday nuisances amaze them. In Nome they mostly hunt and fish and augment their diet from "The Safeway".   They are staying with me until the 27th of July and I've been showing them around the Motherlode.

Our first stop was Calaveras Big Trees State Park. A huge pine tree had fallen through the kiosk and they were doing business outside under a canopy while the kiosk is under repair.  (A photo of a photo)  The incident happened about six weeks ago. Before we went,  I teased the kids and asked them to trace in the dirt the circumference of the biggest tree they had ever seen.

Their parents were as stunned to see the trees as the kids were who didn't know what to expect.

The giants never fail to awe. They are sequoia giganteum and are the biggest trees on earth though not the tallest.  Sequoia sempirvirens, the "coast redwood"  grows a bit slimmer and taller.

Trying to count the rings would take all day, but the kids did learn that the biggest stump in the grove is over 1,200  years old. A hunter in the 1800's discovered the big trees and went back to his camp and described them to the rest of the logging crew cutting timbers for the mines. They laughed at him and thought he was telling stories. He couldn't get them to come out and see for themselves. So the next day of hunting, he came back to camp and said he killed a huge bear and needed help to haul it in.  When they got up a  couple of horses to carry the bear, they were introduced to the big trees and felt the same kind of awe we all do on a first visit.

They never fail to amaze and I've seen them many, many times.

To be able to walk through the hollowed core of a big tree is a pretty trippy experience.

After walking the grove, we drove down to the river picnic grounds and ate our lunch and went swimming. The way the kids described it was, "This is the best water I've ever seen."  All enjoyed the great beauty of the park.

And, they are so right. Great beauty just fifteen miles from where I live. I'm glad to have visitors to inspire me to enjoy these massive giants that were here before Christ, and were alive when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.
Nome you may or may not know is quite flat,  drab and featureless until the snows fall.  Where they live in Colorado is also quite flat and desert-like, although driving through the state in the mountains, is to experience grand forests and scenic views. They have much to see and learn about this great country, as I do.  It's why I travel.

2 comments:

Jerry said...

Mary with a nice place like yours , I can never see why you wanna travel all over the country !!
I would be happy to just park my trailer at your place , and rest my sole, except maybe not when it's below 35 deg , that is if I can ever get it out of my driveway , always more work seams to come my way , it's just so bazaar we have a economy where many can't find work & others are worked to death !

Your having too much FUN :-))

Mary Matzek said...

Remember, I get to ride in your rig for real!! You put all that work into it, you don't want to just park it. I do love coming home to my nice place, but I also love getting out and seeing this great country. Two worlds, both ways.