Wednesday, April 25, 2012

HOPING TO SEE A METEORITE


Yesterday acted like rain.  The sun poked through late in the day. I walked to a neighbor’s for an early dinner and a board game, RummiKub.  All the talk surrounded the van sized meteorite that broke the sound barrier with a loud boom, then split into three pieces and fell to earth in a smoking fireball.  It was visible from Lake Tahoe to Turlock.  It was strange, it didn’t feel like an earthquake, it was just LOUD. I was inside and didn’t see it when it happened at about 8:00 a.m.   Its been three days ago and people are still looking for pieces of it in their yards.

Before the event,  Karen’s cat did some strange machinations, pulling open my screen door and whisking into the house.  Cheyenne, my host’s dog, is very sensitive and barked at “nothing.”   She does tricks on demand. Brian places a piece of dog food on her nose and when given the signal, she tosses it in the air and catches it in her mouth. She loves it when she gets to catch hot dogs.

When I worked as a feature writer many years ago, I loved doing pieces on men who cooked. It seemed they were few and far between, then. Now, most men like to try their hand at something. Brian outdid himself, with an eggplant parmesan sauce for spaghetti, and a salad.

But, the molded butters blew me away. Men who cook rarely achieve such fancy perfection. It was a wonderful dinner and such a treat as I wind down my home projects and get ready to return to my other life in the Motor Home. Brian beat me at two games of RummiKub.

This frog plate was full of  hors d’oeuvres when I arrived. It was so beautiful I couldn’t resist putting it in my camera to take home. I walked home through a star filled night. It was so dark I could barely find my driveway, but I wouldn’t want it any other way. It is a treat to live where light doesn’t pollute the night skies. Besides,  I was hoping to see  a meteorite.

No comments: