Tuesday, September 22, 2009

APPLE PICKING TIME



Apple picking time waits for no one.
When I returned home, the apple trees were overburdened. Richard is tall and every morning he helped me pick by holding the basket up to the tree for me. From the basket we fill boxes. This tree is Gala. The Graven steins rotted on the tree before I got to them. The rest of them are still holding, Fuji, Macintosh, Granny Smith, Pippins and Arkansas Blacks. Seven apple trees and not enough neighbors willing to take them.
One store keeper took a box of apples to give to customers, and one friend took a box to the senior center.
Where are the apple eaters when you need them?
Normally, I dry apples, freeze some for pies and make applesauce. One year I made apple juice and kept it from going bad by lacing it with brandy. Good stuff!
I hate to waste. The deer and skunks are enjoying the bounty as well as myself and guests.

No comments: