Sunday, March 16, 2014

IRISH DAYS IN MURPHYS.

DSC03783 (Copy)
When Main St. Murphys sports a shamrock and the yellow line turns green, (magically, doncha know), it is nearing St. Patrick’s Day.
DSC03720 (Copy)
Leprechauns dancing in the street with fairies, mind you. You’ve never seen anything like it.
DSC03744 (Copy)
In a heavy Irish brogue this tall fellow told me my picture wouldn’t turn out because you cannot photograph leprechauns. I think that was the old photo development style. He doesn’t know about digital. Aha! The joke is on him.
DSC03692 (Copy)
They come in all shapes and sizes and it is the only time of year you can catch a glimpse of the wiley creatures.
DSC03714 (Copy)
The street was jammed with thousands of people. Judging from the cars parked and the loaded shuttle buses that ferried people from Kautz Winery, where there is ample parking.  I’d guesstimate 15,000 people came to visit.
DSC03695 (Copy)
The bagpiper band marched and played their special kind of music.
DSC03698 (Copy)
I know of The Daughters of The American Revolution. I didn’t know there was a Sons Of the American Revolution. In each case, they are people who are direct descendants of men and women who served in the American Revolutionary War. They have to be able to give proof to join.
DSC03703 (Copy)
Kids love a parade.
DSC03706 (Copy)
And what would a parade be without them.
DSC03705 (Copy)
I’m not sure how dogs feel about a parade. But there were plenty of them and they don’t seem to mind. Many people bring their dogs with them when they travel. Years ago, dogs would snap and tangle and challenge. Now, they are so socialized, I didn’t hear a-one bark or snap or seem uncomfortable. The Humane Society has done a marvelous job of training people how to handle animals, and temporizing their more aggressive behaviors.
DSC03724 (Copy)
A group of skaters surprised me by executing dance steps and interesting moves in a community where sidewalks are not all that common.
DSC03701 (Copy)
Here you are more likely to see horses and they are nice to see close up for people who don’t often get the chance. The kids love them. This young lady won Rodeo queen, a position she holds for a year.
DSC03728 (Copy)
Of course, you don’t have to be queen of anything to enter yourself and your horse in the parade.
DSC03733 (Copy)
Miss Calaveras and her princesses hung out the windows of a fire truck, which was unique.
DSC03782 (Copy)
The food choices on the street grab you with their smells. Kettlecorn, and sausages get the juices rumbling but we ended up having corned beef sandwiches at the Native Sons of the Golden West, another great organization in town. It was so crowded I couldn’t get near the Irish Soda Bread from St. Patricks Catholic Church Ladies Guild. It is wonderful.
DSC03779 (Copy)
I always meet people I know at the Hall and I like to support them. The sandwiches were delicious, along with potato salad, a pickle and real horseradish to clear the sinuses.
I took a lot of pictures if you are interested, double click on the picture and you can view a slideshow. (And please ignore that I misspelled Irish and Murphys when I uploaded my file.)
2014-3-15-IrshDaysMurphsy

No comments: