Thursday, October 14, 2010

CRAFTSMANSHIP

 Our good fortune to move about the country and graze through places you've never heard of  puts us in direct contact with some amazing craftsmanship. The ceiling decoration above is from Nottoway Plantation.

Exquisite beading turns these squaw belts into museum pieces. Western Heritage Museum, Colorado.

  A stained glass window from Thomas Edison's house.

 I noticed these bathroom sinks in a restaurant in Las Palomas, Mexico.


 A floor tile from a church in St. Martinsville, LA.
 A headstone from the West Point Cemetery, NY.

  A door pull from the Louisiana State Capitol Building.


  Home baked goods on sale from the Independence Hall Quilters Show, Arnold, CA.  A show that is coming up this month the weekend of the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th at Kautz Vineyard.
People do look at you a bit strangely when you take pictures of some obviously common objects like doorknobs and floor tiles. If someone notices I just mumble, "blogger"... and kind of quietly go about my business. The truth is, I don't do it for the blog, I do it because I see beauty in almost every raindrop and I hope that collecting pictures of them, besides giving me pleasure, honors craftsman who make beautiful the everyday object.

No comments: