Saturday, October 31, 2020

NO ONE FOR PRESIDENT

I'm prone to collecting expressions or statements that people make that either tickle my sense of humor or strike me s interesting, odd or unusual. Here are a few of them that have been hanging around on a scrap of paper.

I had a store in Murphys at one time and an older woman, Mrs. Fisher would visit me. She would joke about a cheap establishment from her day saying people called them:  "Hotel De Bum Bill of Fare."

And another store friend, among many who hung out at my store and the next door barbershop where they'd come to me for their drinks after having their hair cut. It was known in the neighborhood as "The 4:30 Club. Kind of the end of the day. Business slowed down.

Buster Riedel loved to say with a twinkle in his eye:

When I was young I spent my money on booze and girls.  The rest of it was wasted.

He also recited this bit:

When your heels hit hard, and your head feels queer, and your thoughts foam up like froth on a beer and you laugh like hell at some damn fool song, You're drunk, by God, You're drunk.

His wife, Rosie, didn't approve of the 4:30 Club so he would leave for home with these words:

" I gotta go home and get some hot tongue and cold shoulder." 

He was in his 90's. He once owned a grocery store in downtown Murphys and he would drive to Stockton to order his bread and other stuff. He no longer ran the store, but he made it a point to make the trip and bring the 4:30 Club members, and other friends fresh bread about once a month. Those  were fun times.

Murphys was full of interesting characters. Another was Betty Dunkle. She liked to repeat an old toast at any occasion where the wine and scotch flowed.

"Heres to you and here's to me, the best of friends we'll always be, If you have a friend both good and true, stab her in the back before she stabs you. 

Another she was fond of was: Early to rise and early to bed, makes a girl healthy but socially dead. 

I think I was the healthy one and socially dead, but I learned how to be a little bit wild with her as my friend. 

So much for Tomfoolery. Don't know who Tom was, but I'm going to look him up on the internet where someone knows all and then I'll tell you.

Ciao


 

 

1 comment:

CELPIP EXAM BOOKING said...

Coming across your webpage has been one of my highlights this January. This is what quality content looks like. The style, language and delivery meets every ECFMG CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS​ ​
I gotta make sure to bookmark this link and check out more of your content. Not everyday you learn HOW TO BECOME ECFMG CERTIFIED ​ , so this was very timely. Keep up the good work dear.