Saturday, November 23, 2019

EXPRESSIONS

Creativity abounds when searching for the right description. Alta Hanks would say:  "The little ones is eatin' up the big ones."  It took me a while to understand she was talking about mosquitoes. Another: "He hopped on that ide'er like a duck on a June bug."  Alta married my husband's father late in life and he saved her from working in the fields, following the crops. She was the best gardener I ever met and she sowed by the moon and the sun. It never made sense to me but bountiful gardens did.

Southerners are known for their homilies and these come from Toni L.P. Kelner, a Murder Mystery Writer.
"He was nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs."
"If she moved any slower, she'd be goin' backwards."
"I ate so much, I'd like to bust a gusset."
"Just between you, me and the gate post..."
"She was plain as a mud fence."
"I've got more time than money."
"You'd think he owned the road, and half the town besides,"
    It took me a minute to understand he was describing a braggart.

The World War II Vets came home with a bunch of expressions.

"Killroy was here."
"Gotta fag?"
'Toss that in the circular file."
 "What's the latest poop?"
 "He went AWOL.
"He is headed for the brig."
"Where's the John in this stinkin' frat house."
"Shut your blow-hole or they'll give you Latrine Duty."

I'm struggling to remember other colorful expressions. I know my friend Howard Hoyt and I one time made a list. I'll have to grab him and we old museum pieces can share old war stories. And, Museums, too.
They will probably pop into my head while I'm sleeping.

Ciao




1 comment:

CELPIP EXAM BOOKING said...

Coming across your webpage has been one of my highlights this January. This is what quality content looks like. The style, language and delivery meets every ECFMG CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS​ ​
I gotta make sure to bookmark this link and check out more of your content. Not everyday you learn HOW TO BECOME ECFMG CERTIFIED ​ , so this was very timely. Keep up the good work dear.