Saturday, February 6, 2016

MANZANITA ARTS EMPORIUM

DSC07686 (Copy)

Step into my parlor said the spider to the fly...I can't help it. It's what happens to me when I get my art fix.  I want to be part poet and part artist wannabe, all mixed up.  No flies here. Inside Manzanita Arts Emporium the bold work of Cate Culver greets you. Deep glorious colors. A small entrance draws you in to her powerful work.
DSC07691 (Copy) 

Then the next long room; great wall space filled to capacity. Here I view wood cuts done by John Trinkle.
DSC07707 (Copy)

He made this table that retains the shape of the tree trunk, polished to enhance the natural grain.  Don't miss the bottom shelf. Gorgeous.

DSC07694 (Copy)

I mentioned bold. This gallery is like something you'd see in San Francisco. Some hotelier will find Gary Rose's pieces perfect for a lobby. This installation takes up about 10 feet in length.
DSC07693 (Copy)

Gary does smaller pieces suitable for the average home, too.  Again, the word powerful comes to mind.
DSC07699 (Copy)

In the next room is Monika Rose, busily editing a 500 page book...
DSC07700 (Copy)

...with her partner Joy Roberts. They are working on different chapters.
DSC07701 (Copy) 

The Arts Emporium is a co-op owned gallery and office. Another partner, Connie Strawbridge is researching something on the computer. This is Calaveras County? Local talent? I'm impressed. I kept moving from room to room.
IMG_2801 (Copy)

Giles Parrish does abstracts of women. Again, they are bold, engaging paintings.
DSC07698 (Copy)

I have to admit a bias for his work since I own a couple of his pieces.
DSC07702 (Copy) 

Dimensional metal sculptures, catch the eye. Sizable pieces as well are from Wanda Macioszek and her husband Robert Santiford.
DSC07703 (Copy)

I detect the difference in style, but who does pine cones and who does quail, I do not know. They are all good.
IMG_2805 (Copy)

Patty Payne horses are unique.
DSC07713 (Copy)

If you love a paint pony, this rendition is quite literal.
IMG_2804 (Copy)

Another Cate Culver painting, but look at the copy cat quilt made by Linda Bass. A different kind of partnership, in art.
DSC07689 (Copy) 

Kevin Brady is also a well known area artist. This small rendition is the Frogs Last Supper.
DSC07688 (Copy)

You will find beautiful art cards. Also local writer's books for sale.
IMG_2806 (Copy)

Ceramics by James Aaron and others.
DSC07718 (Copy) 

Another room in the building, is owned by a person I did not meet. There I spotted a Judy Caine Papais painting, an old friend whose work I know and admire. She has a rammed earth studio in the high country. Her work is well-known in the area, as is Monika Rose for her teaching writing, and publishing the work of local writers in prose, memoirs, and poetry. It has been her passion for, I'm guessing, 30 years. She is an amazing force for literary talent in this county. Connie Strawbridge came out of the Calaveras Arts Council Gallery and is now flying with a place on the street in Angels Camp,  Manzanita Arts Emporium.  She is an agent for Giles Parrish's work.
DSC07695 (Copy)

I like that there is much to choose from.
IMG_2800 (Copy)

.
DSC07716 (Copy)

Under this display is an antique table for sale. We know that art and antiques are a splendid mix.
DSC07704 (Copy) 

I'm blown away by what this small group is offering and by the quality of local talent. Manzanita Emporium offers a series of lectures and speakers, one coming about Navy aircraft carriers with Bob Rogers and Judy Laws. Another on social media by Brett Bunge. And in honor of Valentines Day, Romantic Poetry by Suzanne Murphy. 

Check out their website at: http://manzapress.com/

No comments: