Wednesday, November 27, 2013

COOKING DAY.

I spent last night going through pictures of Anne and friends for her service. Have more to go through, but it is time to prepare for our yearly feast. My job this year is easy since my daughter-in-law, Laurie,  and son Ken are hosting Thanksgiving.   I'll do the cranberries,  a dip and the breads.

I remember as a young wife, it was the cranberry relish, a 16 oz bag of cranberries ground up with an orange an apple with the skins on them and a cup of sugar. Yum.  (Now the bags hold 12 oz.) Then the  morning after we put cranberry relish in the pancake batter, smothered in butter and powdered sugar to serve. Still my favorite pancake. Plus  that slippery jellied glob, pushed from the can whole onto a plate and sliced like a work of art.

I still make the relish, and for son-in-law Cedric, still the slippery glob on a plate and we enjoy  teasing him about it. I like my own home-made jellied cranberries better. Here goes:
To one bag of cranberries, use two 3 oz. packages of jello, one raspberry and one orange flavor. Use 1 and 1/2 cups boiling water and 1/4 cup of sugar. Grind the cranberries and mold with the jellos. This year I'm adding a bit of crushed pineapple because I like to experiment with recipes. Anyway, good stuff.
Tomorrow is the big day, free from cares to spend time with family, no matter what you eat. Happy, Happy!

No comments: