Wednesday, October 16, 2013

HEALING DEMANDS ITS OWN PACE.

DSC01669 (Copy)

I've always loved gardening, and the weather has been balmy and inviting. Finished the succulents and lined them up against the wall. These plants were in two over crowded containers when Karen and I started. She takes care of my plants when I travel, so I no longer do any planting without consulting her, first. She told me we'd have to put them under shelter for winter, so we decided on lightweight pots that aren't too heavy to lift.
DSC01668 (Copy)

I now have a worker who comes to help with the heavy lifting, but he tends to come when he feels like it. I've felt quite fit, so, I got the loppers and pruned the sucker growth around the second-growth oak trees in about five places.
DSC01666 (Copy)

His last two visits my helper was supposed to remov two small citrus trees for me. They got too big for the greenhouse. I moved them years ago. The lemon froze, the lime and orange didn't flourish.  I took a  hand saw and cut them down. It was hard for me, but I know my upper body is still weak. Jim walks every day, I walk with him every other day, and my strength and endurance has improved in my legs and back. For months and months, I would try the exercises given me and I would "over do" it and be back in pain. Suddenly, I seem to have turned a corner since the accident and I can now walk a brisk mile without great pain. When it hurts, by the next morning, the pain is gone.
DSC01667 (Copy)

Then I tackled a pretty big branch for my little hand saw and my shoulders and neck were telling me, "you'll be sorry!"  This is stuff for fire control and needs to be done.  This morning, I'm not sore enough to complain. My simple yoga every other morning has kept me toned,  but not enough to build muscle.  Now I feel confident I can do the therapeutic exercises I've been given and resume muscle-building tasks. I'm amazed at how the body refuted my efforts at various exercises until it was ready to heal. Now, let me see how well I do at chopping all this stuff up today.

No comments: