Wednesday, June 19, 2013

MUSIC IN THE PARK, MURPHYS, CA.

DSC07338 (Copy)
My partners in crime and I decided to attend the Music In The Park last Friday,  put on by volunteers from the Community Club, supported by the merchants and alternately by the Arts Council. Above is left to right, Sue, Janice, Becky and Jan. Everyone brings snacks and drinks and networks with friends.  Or, you can buy dinner from a local caterer and buy wine and soft drinks from the club’s “Hut”.
DSC07332 (Copy)
While you don’t have to be a Community Club Member to enjoy the event, the club invited members to a repast of wonderful hors d’ oeuvres and a free glass of wine preceding the music. The food was so scrumptious  and good, I wasn’t sure I should buy dinner. Now that I’m on the road, I don’t volunteer anymore, I only pay my dues.
DSC07333 (Copy)
Small towns in rural Calaveras County have no city services and the Community Clubs step in to provide garbage service, pay for street lights on Main St. and so on. The volunteers provide an excellent service and I love being a supporter. This woman is a smiling ambassador who makes sure every one is happy. I’m forgoing names because I see so many new faces.
DSC07334 (Copy)
The women pouring wine and drinks from the Hut were so busy I had to grab them in a rare moment to get a picture,.
DSC07331 (Copy)
I’ve worked with Peggy before. She’s been a member for a while, but I think I have them all beat. I’ve been a member since 1979 or 80.
DSC07335 (Copy)
These volunteers sell the drink tickets so those pouring don’t have to fiddle with money and change.
DSC07337 (Copy)
Other members are there to enjoy and have worked in the past like myself. Kind of retired, temporarily anyway.
DSC07346 (Copy)
The music was provided by a group called Sequoia. A mix of lovely folk tunes and original instrumentals, great listening music.
DSC07343 (Copy)
Sometimes the bands that play are very danceable. Not this group. But, Walt Marcus and his wife decided that one lively tune was very danceable and they gave us all a show as they did a lively jig much to the delight of the crowd.
DSC07345 (Copy)
It doesn’t get much more fun than that.
DSC07341 (Copy)
It might look like we are a bunch of drunks, but, not true. Jan is a teetotaler and the rest of us didn’t even finish one bottle of wine. We tried, though. To see all 17 of the photos I took, click the link below.
https://picasaweb.google.com/106530979158681190260/2013614CommunityClubMusicPk

No comments: