Friday, July 29, 2011

THE FARMER'S MARKET


My youngest daughter still has “little people”, those all too short years when the kids are busily growing into adults as you watch, except that you don’t realize how fast it happens. When I visit I get to be a kid again. Virginia and I swam at the community pool-Olympic sized.  The lanes are longer than those I’ve been swimming at the parks,  and challenging for someone as out of shape as I am. What a welcome respite from the heat in the late afternoon.

Both boys had lessons and testing that day, as well.

We popped over to the farmer’s market for dinner. Luscious choices to bring home and tasty choices among the food vendors.

I usually buy  more than I can eat.  This time I restrained myself.

We each chose different dinner items; for myself, rosemary naan and lamb kabob wrap on Indian flat bread. Virginia chose spinach cheese ravioli and a greek salad; the boys liked their corn dogs, chips and lemonade. We were all pleased with out choices. Too full for dessert, I eyed the wonderful choices in popsicles, even so.

Not all of them appear to be dessert. The kids chose sweet pastries and kettlecorn.

Next time I go, I’ll suggest they offer a taster dish of the various choices.

This farmer’s market, held in the city park, includes fair items like a balloon lady, a bouncy house, a rock climbing set-up, a water slide and sales kiosks with other merchandise besides the agricultural items. The kids love to go there.

After dinner, Owen showed me how well he can  type.  The letters are covered and he is learning to type without hunting and pecking.

They leave that up to the chickens.

The hens have free range of the yard and lay an egg a day. Four hens for a family of four provides enough organic eggs to share with the neighbors now and then.

Their own backyard garden provides tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, and lettuces in surprisingly small space. I slept like a log Wednesday night. Being a kid is hard work!

No comments: