Friday, April 16, 2010

FREE SPEECH AND YOUR OWN BACKYARD


Sue, my CPA's assistant, handed back my tax  package and told me that when she first moved to California, she picked a California Wild Poppy and a friend told her it was against the law to pick that flower since it is the California State flower. We both chuckled because I had had the exact same experience when I first moved to California. I've yet to hear of anyone getting arrested, but given what has happened to Michigan's arbutus, Florida's corals, Louisiana's Cypress and thousands of other natural treasures, maybe our law makers had the right idea. We respect this beauty.



 

 I don't know what flower covers these hillsides on the grapevine, but how can one not be thrilled at this gorgeous show of tiny plants so numerous they form acres of carpet. Obviously, someone is tired of wild flowers in my blog since I received a sarcastic anonymous comment. I'm a true believer in free speech and I might have published it if the writer had had guts enough to leave a name. 


 Spectacular wild flowers are a treat that make us temporarily forget those long, wet, cold days of rain it took to bring them out. I saw the desert in bloom for the first time, but in my own backyard, there is plenty of beauty. On the way home from my tax appointment I took pictures of  the redbuds that put on a show every year on the side of the road. 


Lupines in some places were much thicker than this patch, but these were closer to the road. They are tall and full this year.



The white ceanothus is often referred to as wild white lilac around here. It contrasts beautifully with the redbud and is plentiful right now.



Poppies and deep purple vetch make a good show from a distance even in this snarl of grass. Filieree blooms, bright yellow monkey flowers, some indian paint brush and  another bright orange plant scaling the steep canyon walls where the road was too narrow to stop, made my drive such pleasure. I hope this inspires you drive slowly and enjoy the show instead of hurrying by without appreciating the beauty in your own back yard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

replica ysl bags australia More Help j7c66j4v95 replica bags canada have a peek at these guys i8i91v9h95 replica bags online replica bags in gaffar market replica bags london replica gucci d3r49h2j45 replica bags qatar