Sunday, May 17, 2015

GOING THE DISTANCE.

DSC06582 (Copy)

In Oregon, on Thursday, my cabinets were delivered. They wait installation by another crew.
DSC06584 (Copy)

I'm certain the delivery guys have to be careful. There was a tear in one box. I took a picture. They denied they had torn it. I could feel around inside and could detect no scratches. Two bugs came out of the hole. One was a  roach. Nope, they said, that bug must have just crawled in. One big cabinet barely fit through the sliding glass door. It scratched the paint on the door. Nope, that scratch must have been there. It was almost comic, but the scratch was no big deal.

On Friday morning, Jim drove north and I drove south. I arrived in Davis, about 330 miles later, to meet Cedric and Virginia. Cedric had just arrived after a five hour drive from Mendocino. We loaded into their Prius, the five of us, within about 15 minutes and hit the road for Reno to attend my oldest grandson's graduation. Actually, not to attend it, but to be there for dinner and recognition.
DSC06587 (Copy)

This is Momma Laurie who stated that her oldest son, Stewart,  is the first in her family to obtain a college degree. In my family and my husband's family, my two daughters were the first to obtain college degrees. Seated next to Laurie is Cedric, his sons, Theo and Owen and Poppa Ken.
DSC06588 (Copy)

On the other side of the table, Virginia and my two oldest grandsons, Mason and Stewart. Of course conversation all around table was much about what will you do with your life, from the youngest, Theo, who thinks he'll probably be a vet, to our graduate, Stewart who wants to go to Japan and teach English as a second language, and, in the process learn to speak Japanese.
DSC06599 (Copy)

After dinner, we spent some time in Ken and Laurie's room, chatting. We drank a bit of wine and enjoyed our short time together after the long drives.
DSC06603 (Copy)

On Saturday morning, while Stewart and family got ready to attend graduation, at his suggestion, we went to a local breakfast joint all the locals adore. It is Peg's Glorified Eggs and Ham. The menu choices were wonderful and varied. The food delicious and the service excellent. Thanks, Stew.
DSC06604 (Copy)

The boys had some variation of pancakes/waffle which came with has hash-browns and fruit or meat.
DSC06605 (Copy)

I had a vegetarian eggs Benedict, that was delicious with spinach, onions, mushrooms, tomato, avocado and cheese. Yum.
DSC06613 (Copy)

After breakfast we drove to the University of California Field Station for Virginia's meeting on invasive plants.
DSC06608 (Copy)

It was partly gravel road to get there. No fancy quarters, people pitch their tents.
DSC06609 (Copy)

She reported to the office to join her peers.
DSC06612 (Copy)

She noticed a nest of baby birds and took a picture for me. I love seeing baby birds and especially watching them fledge. She will get a ride home from a colleague.

Cedric drove us  back to Davis,  and for me, another two-hour drive back to Murphys. I guess  I can safely say, we went the distance. Laurie promised to take gobs of pictures of the graduation ceremony.  I hope to see all of my grandsons graduate college. Five more to go.

No comments: