Tuesday, November 4, 2014

GROWING UP WITH POLITICS AND DEBATE

I grew up with politics at the supper table every night. I was always aware that the newspaper and what was happening in government at every level affected our family life. My parents would debate and inform us of what was going on until we were old enough to read the newspaper and get into the debate too.

As kids, we ran the neighborhood with flyers, and had signs on our fence posts or yard. politics it was a normal part of growing up.

When my husband and I bought our first house in a brand new tract, I immediately set out to register the voters who now had a new address. And, when election time rolled around, the polling place was set up in my garage. It remained the neighborhood polling place for the nine years we lived there.

It was from an older poll worker I learned the best thing about working the polls. It was neutral territory among friends and neighbors.  Political affiliation didn’t matter. And the food was pot luck because you couldn’t leave the polling place. She taught me to make election cake, made with persimmons that she brought every year. After she died, I made election cake.

I worked the polls when we moved to Murphys until I began to travel so much. The best thing about working the polls is meeting all of your neighbors and friends. If things weren’t too busy you could chat a little bit. But, at no time, can you discuss politics or candidates at the polls. It is an entirely neutral atmosphere that you are sworn too. At least in California, it is. And, thus it is always a friendly place to be. And, I can only add that the potluck you share with your fellow pollsters is superb because most of the workers are women.

My brother still works the polls in Valley Springs. If you’ve never done it, try it. I think they now pay mileage to the polls and you feel so good at the end of the long day, that you willingly sign on again the next year. And the food is just an added benefit. It is an important task.

So, today, is a big day in many ways. The end of the begging for money. The stark reality of who won and who lost. And, the decidedly different path our country will take as each newly elected person puts their personal belief stamp on country, state, county, or city. You can see it, feel it and know you played your part by voting. Thank you voters for caring enough to mark a ballot and exercise one of our most precious rights. The right to vote.

No comments: