Sunday, February 9, 2014

THIRTY THOUSAND GEARS AND CHEERS.

DSC03072 (Copy)

My friend Pam Munn recently moved to Thousand Palms and came by the park and picked me up so we could go to lunch and hob-nob around town. She warned me that an event called the Tour de Palm Springs was being hosted this weekend.
DSC03074 (Copy)

On the highway, it was disconcerting to be driving among sweeping globs of hundreds of bicyclers. In town, it seemed more controlled.
DSC03077 (Copy)

Ten thousand bikers registered for this 16th annual event. They were friendly, of all ages, and seemed to be having a grand time. They ride to support and raise money for 150 charities in the Coachella Valley.
DSC03078 (Copy)

I noticed a couple of bikers stopped to cool their feet in a fountain outside of this gated golf course. Pam told me the area has 106 golf courses, all watered with used grey water. I wanted to join them because my feet and one ankle were sore after the power walk of the day before. I walked with this group without a problem before the accident. I have to re-coop slowly.
DSC03082 (Copy)

She took me around the lower side of town which is surrounded by a mountain range. The land beneath the mountains is owned by the water company. It is their water shed and is protected but with access to mountain climbing and picnicking on water company property.
DSC03081 (Copy)

Pam spotted this pretty bird. I took the picture from the window. The minute we opened the door, it was gone.
DSC03115 (Copy)

In town, the event was in full swing, with bands and cheer leaders urging the bikers on to the finish line. I have no clue the distance nor route they ride for this event.
DSC03111 (Copy)

Families cheered on their favorite biker and watched and waited to take pictures as they crossed the finish line.
DSC03092 (Copy)

Once they crossed the finish line, they dispersed into the Tour de Palm Springs Street Faire as did we. Several blocks of streets downtown were closed to traffic and given over to the event. We enjoyed it very much. Had a great lunch, and still took time to do a bit of shopping. My swim suit turned into trash since the last time I used it. So, I bought another.
DSC03109 (Copy)

I waited patiently for the line of people having their picture taken with this 27 foot tall statue of Marilyn. Pam says she is prettier at night because she is lit up and her dress is painted with a pearly, luminous paint.
DSC03131 (Copy)

We stopped for a drink. The band was good but loud. It was impossible to talk without placing lip to ear. We didn't stay long.
DSC03128 (Copy)

At this shop, I think it was Canyon Rose Boutique, the clerk asked us, "Where you from?" I told her Murphys. She said, "Oh, just minutes ago someone from Murphys was in here, are you together." No. I told her the shop reminded me of Reza's Bags in Murphys. "That's what she said, too." What are the odds?
DSC03158 (Copy)

I love kitschy stuff, so I took pictures of stuff and no one can have too many scarves doncha know. (I was only going to buy a swim suit, but...)
DSC03152 (Copy)

This woman was photographing her friend trying on and modeling a beautiful hat.
DSC03136 (Copy)

I believe this was Weitzmens Gallery. It has huge sculptures in front and massive paintings of good quality if you wanted to find it, it is easy to find.
DSC03146 (Copy)

There was a lot to see in Palm Springs that Pam and I didn't get to. I have friends coming on Wednesday that will spend a couple of days and we'll get another look.
DSC03157 (Copy)

My bike is practically frozen from being on the back of the bronco through so much changeable weather. It is about as mobile as this one. I'm planning to keep it at home from now on. After dinner in the motor home, Pam and I went to the recreation hall to hear some music, but it wasn't much to our taste and she left at 8 p.m. This week she is going to give me painting lessons using acrylics.

No comments: